Katy's Neighborhood Suppers
OK Y'all. Katy had an idea today, and she wants to share it. Since she is currently suffering from arm and hand disabilities due to computer usage, she isn't typing this, Ben is.
So, after learning through her work about social entrepreneurism, she had the amazing idea to apply what works in the non-profit sector to the FOR profit sector. What's wrong with profit anyway? If the government isn't profiting from the public's income (aka taxes) and using its profits to pay our salaries or if the non-profit isn't profiting from the public's generosity to pay our salaries then we will have to generate our own profit to pay our salaries, then, my conclusion is that profit isn't all bad. [huh?]
Get it? Didn't think so, neither do I (says Ben)
Back to my idea. I really like having people over for dinner. I like cooking and I like the communal aspect of food. BUT, the profits! I am mentally piloting a business idea. I'm willing to entertain feedback from anyone other than Ben, who has already made it known that he thinks this is a horrible idea.
My idea is to serve dinner in my house to people in the community, for a price that will be determined later (<$10 unless deemed too unprofitable, hey, I'm not out to lose money). People will be intrigued by the healthy fresh and cheap meal served at a more affordable rate than one can find in a restaurant. Also, Mt. Pleasant is beleaguered by its lack of (non-Hispanic) restaurants. So, I would serve three courses (likely salad, side and main or main, side and dessert). The meals would be vegetarian, healthy, fresh, and delicious. Not to mention people would enjoy the neighborhood aspect of meeting up to five others at a time. There would be nice music, intellectual conversation, and I "have a lot of other ideas." One is that there would be some charitable aspect knowing the kind and generous person that I am. Also, you could buy a meal for a friend - makes a great holiday gift. Guests would be required to sign up by noon for a 7pm dinner. You could check back at 6pm to see if anything has opened up. [Ben is laughing right now.] I would offer organic ingredients as available and profitable. I would offer a monthly cooking class for "members." "Members" would also have the option of having their meals delivered by me by biek at 8pm or thereabouts. A rotating guest chef in residence would occasionally make an appearance. Maybe. So far, a sample weekly menu for main courses might include: Sunday (oh, I forgot, this will only be available Sunday - Thursday so that I can have my weekends!): goat cheese, pine nut and golden raisin enchiladas
Monday: Garlicly lentils with gingered spinach and a dollop of yogurt
Tuesday: etc.
You have probably eaten dinner at my house before if you are reading this.
Well, Ben has poked a number of legal and financial holes in my plan. But after having learned about micro enterprise and micro loans and this country's proffered support toward small business, I say: [BLANK FACE] "uh, can't nothin come between me and my dream!"
Seriously. I think this would be a good idea. Please save your negative comments for later. Only give me positive comments and feedback. That is how they do it in the for profit world, I'm told.
In other news, all is well in Atlanta.

3 Comments:
hehe. nope, that was spring break 07!!!!!!!!! and we WAS at a club - but not really one that warrants quoting outkast. maybe someone like keith urban...
I can't wait to taste this at a family gathering.
Love, A.C.
I hate to say this, but mom already had that idea. She was going to buy Redwood when it burned down and open a set menu sit down family style restaurant that would draw from the community... I guess it isn't the same idea, but similar. She was going to call it, "The Neighbors". It actually might have been a joint idea... or maybe it was my idea but it makes me think of mom. I don't know anymore... mom?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home