Lovehardsteins!

Our blog. Read it. And weep.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Food glorious food

The week of good eating & drinking. Below follow a number of photos from our exclusive club.



As time flies by between Atlanta and DC (and other desirable Coastal areas), I am coming to find this place more and more home. I am loving the things that first made this place fun like the beautiful Northern Georgia mountains and my friendly and amazing African dance class. Wonderful Dekalb Farmers Market.

Several good things happening. Saw Ann Fadiman speak (The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down). First meeting of a secret club (photos above but it can never be discussed with non-members). Mentoring a refugee family from Burundi. Also, I have been getting VERY into Southern cooking, thanks to a recent Gourmet about Scott Peacock & Edna Lewis and Southern food. Who knew the southern food movement is being led by a restaurant a few blocks from my house? (Well, I did, …).

Crab cake & bourbon brioche pudding makings...(and roasted beets in background, staining all around me!)
fresh crab cakes.
roasted beet, candied walnut& goat cheese salad..

Over the past few days I've made recipes including crab cakes, roasted beet/candied walnut/goat cheese salad, and perhaps the most special, brioche bread pudding with a bourbon caramel sauce. Tried sweet potato/apple/chestnut casserole. Red bean and walnut salad. Slow roasted tomatoes. Mmmmm… Can't wait to try the other recipes. (Though I very sadly realized they will all be extremely complicated and time consuming. Blegh!). For any of you interested, it seems most of the recipes are posted on epicurious. Or check Gourtmet here: http://www.gourmet.com/search/query?keyword=scott+peacock&

Even Ben got tempted and made these buttermilk cookies with icing.

These are Edna Lewis's lemony buttermilk cookies (crispy and cakey at once, with a sugar glaze).*


* Edna Lewis = godess of southern cooking...

3 Comments:

Blogger Ariel Z said...

i can vouch for the deliciousness of ben's cookies - now if only i got to try the rest of your southern culinary adventures!

7:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Remind me never to read your blog when I'm hungry. This is like food pornography.

6:44 AM  
Blogger IhateregisteringASDF!!! said...

ben you truly are adorable

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home