What I've Learned While Pregnant
Here are things I am learning about being pregnant.
1. It's not that bad. Everyone's different, of course. But overall, I have been shocked at how pregnancy does not necessarily mean 9.5 months of pain, agony, and misery. OK, I did have several months of intense nausea/vomiting, and that was no fun. But life has continued almost completely normally up until the very end. I am still able to bike (albeit on a different bike)!
2. People are so nice to you while pregnant. It's been such a wonderful thing to be so surrounded by love and kindness from our family and friends. Not only have we been showered with sweet gifts, but lots have reached out to us providing support and love.
3. People may not give up their seat from you on the train. I was really looking forward to this. Ahh well.
4. The sacrifices aren't that big a deal. Not being able to have caffeine, alcohol, sushi, coldcuts, certain cheeses, nothing unpasteurized, etc -- nothing that I can't live with. I do, however, look forward to my first cup of real, caffeinated coffee and my first beer!
5. The end stage hasn't been bad. I have some back pains and aches, but that's about it. No contractions, and no signs of oncoming labor yet. I'm still sleeping very well (though I heave myself into and out of bed) and am going about my normal life. I am waiting to see if it will get really bad to get me more motivated to have the baby. So far, we're both feeling pretty comfortable as is. I have enjoyed the relationship with the baby, which is squirming and moving like crazy in my belly--ALL the time, it seems!
6. The end may be neverending. While I'm due in just a few days, I could deliver anytime within a month long period. That's kind of a very long time to be waiting for something to happen. But given the above, I'm OK if the baby comes a bit late, which is likely what will happen anyway!
7. Labor and delivery no longer feels scary to me. I feel like I can handle it, since I have Ben, a doula, and a wonderful medical team I trust and respect. Let's see how it all goes!
8. I still can't imagine what a life with baby will be like.
The baby is now about 6 pounds, 9 oz, according to the sonogram (give or take one pound). And the head is measuring at 9cm. So given that labor causes you to dilate to 10cm, the geometry works!

4 Comments:
I love reflections! Yay!
This comment has been removed by the author.
OMG!!! I am overwhelmed on the one hand by my love of helpful tips, and on the other by my excitement for you!
I can't believe people didn't give up their seat on public transport. City folk are barbarians.
Katherintintin,
I can't believe you are having a babababbababy, holy moley macarolli and cheese! I love you guys so much and I will be thinking about you, praying for you, and I am so happy for a child that will have such wonderful parents in this world. I feel like I have missed your pregnancy process (and news of life over the last few years) as I'm not on Facebook, so thanks for the blog post which my ma saw and then told me. wow, you're gonna be a mamma, seems like yesterday we were sooo little ourselves - you think the kid is gonna be bossy ;) or maybe just a BOSS? I'd love to catch up with you and hear your voice.
peace and LOVE
Nick
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home