Some Kind of Labor
Last night we headed into the hospital, nearly two weeks after my due date. The car ride over was silent, as we gathered our thoughts and nerves. I felt a flurry of emotions as we checked into our room at the hospital with our 7 bags and birth ball.
We were greeted by a rather "severe" nurse (Ben's word choice, I approve) who shared little with us about the plans to be. After a few hours of paperwork and sitting around doing nothing, they checked my cervix and said I was about 3-4 c dilated and 80% or so effaced. I was attached to some monitors and some drugs--they were starting me on the lowest dosage of pitosin.
I have a typical hospital bed/chair to lie/sit in and Ben has an even more uncomfortable chair that folds out into a "bed." Ben and I were encouraged to sleep through the night, which we did with some success, save for the regular visits of the nurse who kept moving around the baby monitors. I still feel pretty sleepy. Just the last few days of pregnancy have been hard to sleep through as I sometimes feel my belly weight is crushing other parts of my body.
Today has been kinda boring. Not much happening here. They've been continually jacking up the pitosin, trying to get my contractions into a regular pattern and hoping to dilate me a bit more too. In theory this should kick my body into doing its own thing and I can get off the "pit" and into the tub for the final stages. We're taking everything one step at a time.
I find this so strange, but I have not really been feeling the contractions much yet. I am feeling very good and still awaiting the onslaught of pain!

1 Comments:
I thought about you all day today. I worried that I had missed something and quickly checked your blog after work. Thank you so much for keeping up with everything on your blog, it makes me feel closer to you during the most important time of your life. Soon you will have your baby and maybe you do by now. All my positive thoughts are with you and Ben, Katy. God bless you all and I send all my love.
Denise
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home