Infrequent posting not a bad thing
It's been a month since the Lovehardsteins have posted. Time for an update....reeeeewind!
Currently Katy is stationed in the UK. Well actually she just arrived and took a long nap (her mother would be disappointed). Katy is here for 2 weeks for work, a giant meeting (and has a big presentation...yikes!) and meeting her Oxford based colleagues. Any recommendations of things not to be missed in Oxford (or for 36 hours in London) should be posted here.
This past weekend was spent in the lovely, springy city of Boston. Seeing the Stetson family, drinking beers with Sulgrave friends Morgan, Evelyn, Ben S, kickin' it old school with Greg, visiting Ariana, and even doing a yoga class equals one helluva good weekend. Boston was beautiful and flowery and photos to be uploaded soon. Prank of the weekend: Katy/Morgan/Evelyn buy surgical masks and wear them (in honor of swine flu) to the bar where meeting the boys.
The past few weeks before that have been lovely as well. Spring is just the most beautiful time in Atlanta. Barbecues have been held, hikes have been had, and much free time devoted to plowing through the 10 various weekly and monthly publications the Lovehardsteins get. A fun filled weekend spent romping across Chicago was done with Jessie, the garden plot was tenderly cared for and weeded (though not as often as it should have been), and both Lovehardsteins have taken to biking to work when possible.
Time flies by, and yet when no one is in school, the time seems less marked, almost. Summer is around the corner, but doesn't quite feel like it, and what is summer if little holiday is to be had? Spring is the favorite season, but also it comes with change and an aching and almost creaky tension. We are here in Atlanta, for who knows how long. Uncertainty hangs in the air at work (for one of us anyway) and in the world. It has almost just hit that DC is no longer in the worldview. Kind of a lot to handle. But luckily, surrounded by the wonderful friends (in Beer Club and others) who support us through these creaky times. We thank our lucky stars for the strong foundation we have and indulge in what we love in th mean time.

2 Comments:
very poetic. i miss you all! good thing we get to see each other for 2 weekends in 1 month!
Hey Katy
I hope you're enjoying the UK. It feels like ages since I've been in Oxford, but I'll try to think of some fun things for you to do!
There's the usual touristy stuff like going punting, a list of places to hire is here - http://www.dailyinfo.co.uk/guide/punting.htm. Definitely a fair weather activity, and be sure to follow the local practice of taking plenty of champagne (if you're classy) or beer (if you're me) with you.
I love the museums in Oxford, though they're smaller than London of course. The Ashmolean has a surprising number of impressive renaissance works, plus some Egyptology - http://www.ashmolean.org/ Actually I just looked at that site and the museum's shut at the moment, which is a shame.
Instead, I'd recommend the Pitt Rivers museum - http://www.prm.ox.ac.uk/. It's a crazy collection of artifacts brought back from God knows how many imperial expeditions in hostile lands. Everyone goes there to see the shrunken heads (seriously) but stays for the jumbled array of crazy shit.
The Bodleian Library is throughout the city, including underneath a large part of it. I don't know whether you can get a tour or anything, but worth it if you can, especially if they'll let you into the bookstacks in tunnels under the city - it has every book published in English since way back so there's a lot to see! Info here http://www.ouls.ox.ac.uk/bodley/about/visitor
For going out there are plenty of places but I always liked Jericho, which is just to the north - I used to live in this area and we occasionally went here - http://oxford.openguides.org/wiki/?Jude_The_Obscure - which is a bit different. Also, if you like drinking cocktails in an old church (albeit with a load of drunken students) then here's the place for you - http://www.qype.co.uk/place/61585-Freud-Cafe-Oxford
If you can get to see some of the colleges then it's worth a look. Christ Church and Magdalen are the most popular, and I think Queen's and maybe Univ are worth it too. I went to Jesus - www.jesus.ox.ac.uk - so please stop by to check it out. If you do, try to have a look in the dining room to see the huge portrait of Elizabeth and a couple of van Dyck's hanging on the wall above students eating cafeteria food.
OK, I'll post more if I think of it! Enjoy!
Damon
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home