What To Do With All One's Free Time When One is Unemployed
Trick: How does one not drive oneself crazy by having lots of free time on his/her hands?
Answer: I don't know!
But I certainly have drawn up lots and lots of ideas of super exciting fun things to do during this (seemingly unendurable, unending period, though it's only been) 2 weeks:
- Read. Read lots. Catch up on magazines like Vanity Fair and even Decatur's local publications, and if really desperate, Ben's grad magazines. Also read good New Yorker stories online. Develop long lists of desired books to read and start reading them. Currently reading "A History of Love," thanks to Magda's rec.
- Catch up on tasks. That means forever home cleaning, dry cleaning, cooking, and much more mundane things like: Deal with insurance problem. Finish overdue evaluation. Figure out a tailor nearby. Finally do wedding photo album. Figure out flight credits. Burn CDs. Make yogurt. And bread.
- Volunteer lots. We've been spending time with the Burundians a lot. We're trying to volunteer at Decatur Beer Festival (not surprisingly, lots of other folks do too!). I'm debating trying to serve as a volunteer disaster/emergency responder in Decatur. It's not like a fireperson, more like someone who helps folks connect the dots post disaster in terms of services available, etc. I'm also hoping to volunteer at some upcoming events (we already did the IRC dinner...swanky!) to get to know ATL scene.
- Try to do some fun stuff. On weekends, we've done great here--Chattanooga, Asheville, Athens...bike rides, hikes, good meals. But on weeks we feel this pressure to figure things out, even though things move very very slowly. My goal is definitely to do "more fun stuff" particularly if it doesn't involve gasolina.
- Find a job. So, priority numero uno here. Lots and lots of meeting people, looking at organizations online, etc. But, as mentioned above, it's hard to make this a full time job. In the mean time, I'm thinking of creative things to do for work. I've got lots of crazy ideas but am really just hoping to get a normal job instead of resorting to those.
- Ideas?!?! Let me know if you have creative ideas of things we could be doing now...especially if they don't involve spending money.

1 Comments:
Aww, I hope you like The History of Love! I recommend TV on DVD. The best part of my unemployment 2004 was watching Freaks & Geeks. MIDWEST!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home