Lovehardsteins!

Our blog. Read it. And weep.

Thursday, June 21, 2007

A lazy Sunday in Georgia

On Sunday, I skipped breakfast, not exactly looking forward to what they served me (extra frosting pink cake and orange “drink” as well as instant coffee), and bought some wonderfully fresh cherries. Having eaten at least ½ a kilo, I put them aside.

One of my friends here picked me up with several others and took me to Mtskheta--the old capital of Georgia. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site because of the Jail Monestary nearby (built in the 6th century!) and many churches from the 1st-6th century AD. Wow.

On the dock of the nearby river, we shared a typical Georgian meal, loaded again with wines and toasting, and lots of delicious warm breads of all shapes and sizes and all sorts of finger foods. A true feast. And occurring over a lazy Sunday afternoon.

SIGH, true delights indeed!

Have I mentioned how angry I am that there is not a single guidebook to Georgia alone? Well there is, but it is very old. Georgia gets 80 pages in the lonely planet Caucus guide. This country is woefully underrated. The hospitality is nothing I have ever seen or felt. The natural beauty is amazing. The country teems with history. I have seen places that are 2000 years old. !!

I highly encourage yal to get on over here, before the rest of the world (aka the tourism industry) "discovers" it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home